A good plan doesn’t guarantee success (execution is key), but the lack of a good plan ensures failure. Various kinds of plans are needed to excel, and each should receive thoughtful attention. Focus areas include:
Formal strategic planning:
- (Re)establishing your mission and vision
- Defining clear and measurable goals
- Deciding on the right strategies to achieve your goals
- Planning the work—what efforts should be started, improved, or ended?
- Measuring the results—for more details, visit Performance & Program Evaluation.
- Finalizing a polished end product
Less formal planning:
- Do you need new ideas for a new (or old) problem?
- Do you have a great idea and need a plan to execute it?